Areas of research
„Business, economics and education“– the research program of the Chair of Business and Economic Education at the University of Duisburg-Essen can be defined by this slogan. We analyze questions regarding economic education as well as vocational training. Within the last decade economic education has constantly been on the rise – a gratifying process we accompany by developing curricula carrying out empirical research in the field of learning and teaching. Thereby we concentrate our efforts on improving the quality of economic education in general, while we are interested in vocational education as well.
Innovative teaching and learning arrangements are supposed to foster competences in economic and vocational education which is why they are constantly tested, evaluated and redeveloped. We take an active part in the development of instruments concerning competence diagnosis and competence assessment. At the same time we are committed to the academic professionalization of teachers as well as to the organizational development of schools.
Our areas of research in detail:
- Human capital development in the dual system of vocational training
- Economic, moral and civic education
- Business ethics in theory and practice
- Inclusive vocational guidance and inclusive professional education
- National standards and competencies in economic education
- Complex teaching-learning arrangements
- Education for sustainable development
- Financial education
- Co-operations between schools and economy (industrial relations)
- Chosen aspects of economic education
- Bilingual economic education